[nycbug-talk] Git Tangent: [Was: svnup(1) - worthy of promotion to base?]

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Mar 11 15:09:29 EDT 2013

"Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Fabian Keil wrote:
> > Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:

> >> svn(1) itself- (and svnup(1)), is not quite as slick in this area.  To this end, svnup(1) *feels* surprisingly "slow" when fetching deltas.  Yet, for what it's doing, (comparing every file), it's pretty darned fast.
> >
> > Did you use git for base, ports or other projects with similar size?
>
> Only toyed with it for base/ports.
[...]
> Etc…  Git is really quite impressive on all these fronts- to bad it's getting so obese in the feature implementation department (build it from source one day, you'll see what I mean :)

Without the svn support most of the obesity seems to be gone.
And building everything including clang and Firefox from source
helps to keeps things in perspective ...

> > It's reasonable once the ARC is warm:
[...]
> > But then again, I reboot the laptop at least once a day
> > and the ARC isn't persistent (yet) …
>
> And also since ARC is for ZFS, how much physical memory do you have on that box?

2 GB. For this workload I mainly blame the slow disk, though.

> Just curious- (mostly because I'm amazed to see how much more feasable using ZFS has become with smaller memory footprints).

After a bit of tuning it always worked for me.

> Could you perhaps share a dmesg, out of curiosity?
> http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd

Sure.
http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2449

> Realistically, my point is that the git internals help it blow away other open source SCM tools in delta sync- and for many new/future FreeBSD users, svnup(1) may be perceived as slow.
> So, anything we can do in advance to identify and resolve any speed issues which are real- and within reach to resolve, will make this important tool stand up much better- IMHO.

Makes sense.

Fabian