[nycbug-talk] Git Tangent: [Was: svnup(1) - worthy of promotion to base?]

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Mon Mar 11 15:47:13 EDT 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Fabian Keil wrote:
> "Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
>> On Mar 11, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Fabian Keil wrote:
>>> Git is really quite impressive on all these fronts- to bad it's getting so obese in the feature implementation department (build it from source one day, you'll see what I mean :)
>
> Without the svn support most of the obesity seems to be gone.
> And building everything including clang and Firefox from source
> helps to keeps things in perspective …

Well, perhaps clang is large- but I don't believe it requires both python and perl to build 'feature-expect complete' :)

Git was pretty awesome until 2010, it was a few MB, all C, compiled from source nearly everywhere- (original git was small but not so natively portable).

That kind of simplicity made me like it- but alas...

>>> It's reasonable once the ARC is warm:
> [...]
>>> But then again, I reboot the laptop at least once a day
>>> and the ARC isn't persistent (yet) …
>>
>> And also since ARC is for ZFS, how much physical memory do you have on that box?
>
> 2 GB. For this workload I mainly blame the slow disk, though.

Cool :)

>> Just curious- (mostly because I'm amazed to see how much more feasable using ZFS has become with smaller memory footprints).
>
> After a bit of tuning it always worked for me.

That's pretty awesome- do you have, or could you recommend some notes?

I've tried ZFS on boxes with <4gb memory, and failed miserably at making them run reasonably...

>> Could you perhaps share a dmesg, out of curiosity?
>> http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd
>
> Sure.
> http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2449

Cool…  Thanks!!!  That's a respectable dmesg on several levels...

Rocket-
.ike