[nycbug-talk] instructions for building f# on freebsd

Siraaj Khandkar siraaj at khandkar.net
Mon May 20 10:28:25 EDT 2013

On May 19, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Justin Dearing <zippy1981 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Siraaj Khandkar <siraaj at khandkar.net>wrote:
>
>> Are you making that distinction based on availability of 3rd party libs?
>> Because if so - I'm pretty sure one can easily call other .NET code from
>> F#.
>>

> Like i said I never coded F# so I'm speaking from the experience of others.
> However I don't think you can generate a WCF service reference (SOAP client
> stub code) in F#.

I'm quite ignorant of the .NET world, so this doesn't mean very much to me,
but a cursory google for "f# WCF service reference" gave me this as first hit:

http://dotnet.dzone.com/news/building-wcf-services-with-f-p

Though because of my ignorance, I have no idea if that actually addresses your
concerns :)

> I would also assume if you were implementing your own
> ILogger in log4net, you'd prefer C# or VB.NET because you'd be writing a
> lot of boilerplate inherit a class and overwrite all these methods code.
> Maybe someone who always codes in F# or ML languages would do that in F#.
> The only functional programming I've done in javasccript closures and
> anonymous delegates and lambas in C#. Perhaps if I ever grok monads I will
> think different.

My main point is that F# is not a domain specific language - it was designed to
be general purpose and delivers quite well on that. There's no reason to
pigeonhole it into any particular application.

Of course, whether or not anyone chooses to use any language (or OS, or
whatever) is mainly subjective preference, so there's no reason to be defensive
(or offensive) about that either ;)

RE: Monads - they're only required in a pure language (Haskell, Miranda, Idris,
etc). MLs are impure, so you can have as many side effects as you please. In
fact, most F# that I've seen around (which isn't much, mind you) is heavily
imperative in style (.NET people prefer it largely for the terseness (as compared
to C#)).

--
Siraaj Khandkar
.o.  o.o  ..o  o..  .o.