[nycbug-talk] Happy Halloween, here is some wacky Horror story

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 11:53:04 EDT 2013

"are there standard tools for discovering and checksumming the firmware".
That is what I was wondering. I understand the case of a motherboard BIOS,
if something could re-write the firmware. I think that is very possible
because now many vendor tools re-write the firmware without requiring you
to boot from a CD. This is one thing that makes the story questionable to
me.

In the case of a USB stick, it would seem pretty easy to purchase two usb
sticks, stick one into your "corrupted" network and then compare the
firmware on the two units to see if an actual change happened. In the BIOS
case, couldn't one use VMware? After all VMWare emulates a BIOS start an
image see if the image changes in a substantial way. The mame community
somehow manages to extract (BIOS) information from hundreds of arcade
machines....