[nycbug-talk] two FreeBSD questions

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 15 21:34:44 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 09:22:32PM -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
> Glen Barber:
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 08:29:00PM -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
> >> 1.  I don't see the svn revision number in my uname with -a on 9.2 or
> >> -CURRENT.  Apparently others do.  Anyone else?  Why?
> >>

> > What does 'svn info /usr/src' say?
>
> nothing!  I'm using the nyc*bug-pleasing tool called net/svnup ;)

Ah.  That's why then.

svnup does not record the revision in the way that can be reported by
uname(1).

Specifically, sys/conf/newvers.sh calls svn{,lite}version, which walks
the tree to generate the output for uname(1).

> hirren on IRC said he sees the svn revision number in his uname -a, but
> says he didn't see it when things like world and kernel are out of sync,
> which is likely the case with the 9.2 box.

No, when kernel/userland are out of sync, you will still see the svn
revision.  It will not be accurate, though.

(freebsd-version(1) in head/ is able to differentiate when userland and
kernel are out of sync to provide actual useful output; also uname(1)
was updated today with r256557 to add '-K' and '-U' options for kernel
and userland, respectively.)

> Not having svn installed... that might matter?  Neither has svn installed.
>

> >> 2.  Now that FreeBSD CURRENT hit 11, do any FBSD devs know if the
> >> bleeding edge arm stuff is only hitting 11, or will 10 get the same
> >> attention with arm?
> >>

> > "It depends."  stable/10 will definitely have attention in these areas,
> > but changes that affect KBI (kernel binary interface) cannot be merged
> > from head/ to stable/10.
>
> right.  So the project will maintain 8.x, 9.x, 10.x and focus on 11.x?

Well, 10.0 is the immediate focus; 11.0 will not exist as a release for
about 2 years or so.  stable/9 will continue to receive updates.  The
number of updates merged to stable/8 will surely lessen, but do not
expect any more 8.x releases.

> Here we go again!
>
> ;)
>
> Why the rush to 11 for HEAD?