[nycbug-talk] two FreeBSD questions

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Oct 15 21:54:19 EDT 2013

Glen Barber:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 09:22:32PM -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
>> Glen Barber:
>>>>

>>> What does 'svn info /usr/src' say?
>>
>> nothing!  I'm using the nyc*bug-pleasing tool called net/svnup
>> ;)
>>

> Ah.  That's why then.
>
> svnup does not record the revision in the way that can be reported
> by uname(1).
>
> Specifically, sys/conf/newvers.sh calls svn{,lite}version, which
> walks the tree to generate the output for uname(1).

I should have caught that myself... and realized after I sent.  I had
issues with newvers.sh and it getting confused by dot git files... PR
174422, so I had worked through that file a few times.

Got it.

>> hirren on IRC said he sees the svn revision number in his uname
>> -a, but says he didn't see it when things like world and kernel
>> are out of sync, which is likely the case with the 9.2 box.
>>

> No, when kernel/userland are out of sync, you will still see the
> svn revision.  It will not be accurate, though.
>
> (freebsd-version(1) in head/ is able to differentiate when userland
> and kernel are out of sync to provide actual useful output; also
> uname(1) was updated today with r256557 to add '-K' and '-U'
> options for kernel and userland, respectively.)

that's a nice thing.

>> Not having svn installed... that might matter?  Neither has svn
>> installed.

>>> "It depends."  stable/10 will definitely have attention in
>>> these areas, but changes that affect KBI (kernel binary
>>> interface) cannot be merged from head/ to stable/10.
>>
>> right.  So the project will maintain 8.x, 9.x, 10.x and focus on
>> 11.x?
>>

> Well, 10.0 is the immediate focus; 11.0 will not exist as a release
> for about 2 years or so.  stable/9 will continue to receive
> updates.  The number of updates merged to stable/8 will surely
> lessen, but do not expect any more 8.x releases.

Got it.

So with the flurry of arm commits I see, building something stable
(lower case) with 10- is still the best bet, right?

>> Here we go again!
>>
>> ;)
>>
>> Why the rush to 11 for HEAD?
>>

> It is an illusion.
>
> http://www.nycbug.org/pipermail/talk/2013-September/030328.html

Point (dot) taken (pun...)

I should read entire replies, not just the first three lines :)

Thank you for your infinite patience gjb.