[nycbug-talk] Question FreeBSD 10.x release schedule (huh?)

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Sep 25 19:31:09 EDT 2013

On Sep 25, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 09:01:07PM +0000, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>> I think I'm missing something serious here:
>> Why, if FreeBSD 9.2 is running a month behind, did 10.x release
>> schedule get put up on the freebsd.org homepage?
>
> We're finishing up the release notes.  The 9.2-RELEASE builds should
> begin in (hopefully) no more than 2 days.
>
> Glen

That's awesome news- no need to rush a good thing with 9.2 :)

My question was about the 10.x release schedule suddenly being front and center, (with aggressive dates at that!). Why the apparent push?

--
Commentary:

It's confusing to new users, as well as old farts like me.

Getting a chance to put a REL to use, and not just dev on it, o spend lifer upgrading, is very important to sustaining the project.  If we don't get to use (and maintain) the OS, what's the point of it's existence?

--
So, being more positive- what's happening that gets three major versions of one OS, up on the FreeBSD  homepage even?  What's the rush?

Best,
.ike