[talk] graid(8)

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Apr 2 19:25:06 EDT 2014

Greetings

So I'm building a Supermicro box that has mobo/fake raid on FreeBSD 10.

Since gmirror has gotten a bit overcomplicated when paired with gpart, I
figured I'd look at what has replaced atacontrol, since 9.x I believe.

It ends up graid is the new geom-based utility.  My question is this:

graid seems to move beyond pure fake raid.  Is it a more stable/more
effective way to cope with fake raid?  From what I've seen/read, is it
without the typical pitfalls of fake raid (eg, reliance on a particular
mobo, etc)?  Is it going to provide the sanity of gmirror

Or is it really dressing up a pig?