[talk] coreboot

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:58:17 EST 2014

On 01/12/2014 14:09, George Rosamond wrote:
> I've read a bit online, but wondering about others' real experiences.
>
> Anyone use it to boot FreeBSD?  OpenBSD?

Hi,
I flashed my Alix2c3 with it, Free & OpenBSD run without issue.
I also flashed my ThinkPad X60s, Free/Net/DragonflyBSD (3.8) run without
issue, OpenBSD is unable to boot.
I lost the ability to PXE boot on both systems as that is an additional
step which I've not covered yet.
dmesg's amongst this search:
http://www.nycbug.org/index.cgi?action=dmesgd&fts=coreboot

If you're going to try it, assume you're going to brick the board first
time & get the necessary components which allow you to get back to a
running state.
For the Alix that needs a LPC.1a http://pcengines.ch/lpc1a.htm
For the ThinkPad X60 you'll need a Pomona 5250 clip and a bus
pirate/beaglebone black or Pi.

Sadly the process is somewhat reliant on Linux, while you can reflash
from a system running BSD, to generate the image & to perform some of
the step on the ThinkPad, you'll need to be running Linux.
That's not to say it can be made to run on !Linux, it just smacks of
gnuism everywhere.

I wrote up a post on getting coreboot on the Alix a while back, but the
one on the ThinkPad is still sitting in my drafts
https://www.geeklan.co.uk/?p=1617

Sevan / Venture37