Next NYCBSDCon

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sat Feb 15 13:49:59 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Brian Callahan <bcallah at devio.us> wrote:

> I hate this idea. This is tantamount to auctioning off our speaker slots to
> the highest bidders and subjecting our attendees to a day of sales pitches.
> I have no problem with someone wanting to give a talk about some hardware
> their company produces, but such a talk really has to be focused on why *BSD
> is the right fit for them. It's really easy to devolve into a sales pitch.

Yeah, I see your point - I didn't even think of that, but it could get
pretty painful to watch.  Doing it like the past convention, where
there were various tables for people to visit, would work.  Maybe a
hardware focus could work better as the topic of a whole separate
meeting/event.  I can see value in (for example) hearing about someone
setting up (on their own, not as a vendor) on ARM-platform-du-jour,
and then turning around and being able to pick it up for yourself.  A
hardware hackathon/makerspace sort of event?  I only have a
half-formed idea.

> Sorry Justin, didn't mean jump down your throat like that.

This is a BSD list; you need to work harder.  You're pointing out
problems with the idea, and stopping.  You should then question the
reason for me to bring it up, the value of all prior suggestions I've
made, and casually either hint that this isn't the place for me or
just engage in some sort of ad hominem attack.  :)