Next NYCBSDCon

Eric Radman ericshane at eradman.com
Tue Feb 18 13:16:04 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 01:44:44PM -0500, George Rosamond wrote:

> The resounding one, that I surveyed others at the con about, is: "Beyond
> x86: the BSDs on ARM and MIPS."

Very memorable title!

> The approach is this.  Focus on Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone and this huge
> proliferation of cheap boards and boxes that have come out.  Lots of
> people are hacking on them,

Even from the perspective of hallway conversations this seems to be
true. I know a number of people who use Linux on the Pi.

> FreeBSD's crochet build script.  It's beyond just supported arm boards,
> and it manages to keep modularity for a lot of boards and different
> kernels while remaining a unified system.

Smooth deployment is a big deal, and the BSDs have a very story to tell.
I'd love to hear an updated talk on flashrd
(http://www.nmedia.net/flashrd/) for OpenBSD. Has anyone used it on
non-x86 systems?

Eric