OpenCompute Switches, A Cross-Post

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Feb 21 12:54:51 EST 2014

On 02/20/14 21:08, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Apologies in advance, this is certainly a sort of cross-post, as a sort of rallying cry.
>
> Remember the ancient discussions about wishing we had 48 network ports, on a piece of hardware running *BSD?  Well, if anyone wants to join me, I'm dipping my toe in on list over at the OpenCompute networking project, I'd love to have more NYC*BUG folks over there who care about the networking (and switching hardware):
>
> http://lists.opencompute.org/pipermail/opencompute-networking/2014-February/000106.html
> (The list appears to be quite light traffic.)
>
> I think showing a strong and constructive *BSD presence there is both relevant, and useful.

Thanks .ike - this is of particular interest to me since i am currently
working in both the openstack and opencompute world right now.  although
i believe opencompute is (or should be) OS agnostic since its primary
focus is on hardware design at the rack/dc level.  perhaps i'm missing
something?

having said that - there is support in openstack/neutron for
opencontrail(1).  they are working on a freebsd port which i'm pretty
excited about.

cheers,
-pete

(1)http://opencontrail.org/opencontrail-weekly-meeting/