[nycbug-talk] Help me install a BSD on a notebook

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jan 11 12:19:42 EST 2014

Friends,

Several months ago I was given a brand new Asus Ultrabook, 2 cores,
running on Intel Core i3-32-3217U running Windows 8.

I'm not a Windows hater.  I used it on $jobs up until 2006 and on my
personal desktop until 2004.  But this version of Windows is so
different from what I used to use that I'm not strongly motivated to use
this machine, accept perhaps for when I need Microsoft Word.  (For the
record, I'm not enamored of the iOS-ization of Mac in 10.6+, either.
Give me a comfortable keyboard, a mouse and a Unix command-line, and I'm
happy.)

Last night I wiped the dust off the Asus -- literally.  The thought
occurred to me:  Could I make this a dual-boot machine, with a *nix
system on the other side?  Hmm, I ran Windows98 and RedHat 7.3 on my old
desktop for several years a decade ago.  I'm familiar with Ubuntu, which
I used as my desktop at a $job for six years.  (And I've run Debian on
my Linode since 2005, though that's not a desktop.)

Having attended NYCBUG since 2005 or so, I've noticed that very few
presenters at either the monthly meetings or the Cons run a non-Apple
BSD on their laptops.  At the 2010 Con there were more presenters
running Windows than PC-BSD.

Brian Callahan's presentation at NYCBUG this week suggested that it
might be viable to run OpenBSD, at least, on a laptop.  I'm at a point
where I need a more powerful, Unix-based laptop for my
home/open-source-development use, so I'm motivated to explore options.
I'm wondering if there is anyone in the NYC vicinity who could help me
do this.  I know that I'm unlikely to embark on this sitting at home by
myself, so I'm definitely willing to bring this Asus to wherever someone
who could help me lives or works. And I'm very willing to compensate
someone for this in beer, food, cash or perhaps a contribution to an
appropriate BSD foundation.  (If I don't do this, eventually I'll break
down and buy a new Mac, but I'm sure the foundation or anyone on this
list can use that $$ more than Apple.)

Assuming I do get a BSD up and running, there will be beneficial
results.  I will use it to run smoke tests of Perl and Perl libraries on
that BSD.  Those smoke tests will be publicly posted, raising that BSD's
visibility in the Perl community.  I periodically make presentations at
Perl user groups (like New York Perlmongers) and conferences; if people
at those meetings saw me booting up a non-Apple BSD, they'd say, "Cool!
  What's that?"  And, who knows -- I might eventually be able to make a
software contribution back to the BSD I'm running.

So, if you'd like to offer me some in-person help with this, please
contact me off-list.  (You're free to kibbitz on-list as much as you
want.  I know you'll do that anyway. ;-) ) Getting this done before the
Feb 08 Con would be a definite plus.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan