very short overview of FreeBSD packages (fwd)

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Wed Jan 22 15:23:35 EST 2014

On Tue, 1/21/14, Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: very short overview of FreeBSD packages (fwd)
 To: "NYC*BUG Talk mail list" <talk at lists.nycbug.org>
 Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 3:02 AM

 For what it's worth,
 DragonFly BSD switched to using pkg as a tool for managing
 port binaries about halfway through the previous release.
  It's a much nicer way to do things.  When all the
 packages are there (and 'pkg search' helps a lot
 with identifying packages), it's very DWIMmy.

On a related note I added the dports content to mirrors.nycbug.org add this as a local repo

http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/DragonflyBSD/dports/

 DragonFly was using pkgsrc before switching to
 pkg/dports, and it's almost impossible to manage
 software in an all-binary format with pkgsrc.  And building
 from source isn't much fun either, but that holds for
 any packaging system.

 On Mon, Jan 20, 2014
 at 5:56 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>
 wrote:

 Billsbrough wrote:

 > > In a short response to an email I wrote:

 > > > I am attempting to explain ports/packaging in
 FreeBSD

 > > >  https://www.dropbox.com/s/q07d2ah7zlyv8d0/ports_and_packages.txt

 > > > Did I mangle it too bad?

 > The question is, what do they mean?  Do they mean the
 fact that it can

 > literally take hours to install what may take a few
 moments in Linux?  Do

 > they mean that they may have installed a package, then
 installed a port to

 > find that it insisted on redoing everything the package
 did?

 Y'know, I'd forgotten about the time when
 there was a security breach, and

 for awhile, there were no packages available, and then,
 while the handbook

 was recommending pkgng, there were no packages available for
 that.  That

 _might_ have been what your friend was referring to.  If
 that's the case,

 then the answer is Yes, they've fixed their package
 woes.

 While there aren't (and I'm sure this will always be
 the case) packages

 available for absolutely everything, things like firefox, as
 an example of a package

 that many who use X will consider essential and take a long
 time to build,

 are available in package form for FreeBSD-10.  Right now
  (or as of

 yesterday evening) the big missing package is xorg-server,
 but many of hte

 other common X programs are already avaialable as packages.
  (For those who

 haven't kept up, it's now pkg install, not pkg_add
 -r, and nothing needs to

 be added to make.conf, nor do you still need to create a

 /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file)

 --

 Scott Robbins

 PGP keyID EB3467D6

 ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys
 EB3467D6

 talk at lists.nycbug.org

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----