FreeBSD-10 pkg Heads Up

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 22 16:04:38 EST 2014

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:21:50 pm Pete Wright wrote:
> Hey All,
> This bit me this morning and figured I'd pass along the info.  I
> upgraded my workstation to FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE from the latest release
> candidate.  that went fine.  then i attempted to upgrade my packages and
> found that nothing needed to be upgraded...interesting.  i then went to
> re-install the nvidia xorg driver to make the nvidia.ko match my new
> kernel and it complained about xorg-server not being available.  odd.
> after some digging it looks like i needed to create a new repo.  Here
> was my existing repo config:
>
> > cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
> FreeBSD: {
>   url: "pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/${ABI}/latest",
>   mirror_type: "srv",
>   enabled: yes
> }
>

> I created a new repository pointing to this releases packages like so:
> > cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD-rel10.conf
> FreeBSD-10-rel: {
>   url: "pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/${ABI}/release/0",
>   mirror_type: "srv",
>   enabled: yes
> }
>
> I'm back in business now.  Not sure if this was in the release notes or
> not (i may have missed it).  Hopefully this helps someone else out!

Do you even need a FreeBSD.conf file?  I think at one point that was in
the early adopters instructions, but I think the current state is that
pkg should work out of the box without needing any conf files.  Perhaps try
renaming /usr/local/etc/pkg to /usr/local/etc/pkg.old and see if pkg works
correctly.  (If not you can move pkg.old back.)

--
John Baldwin