installfest statuses: Asus S400C

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Jan 29 23:30:59 EST 2014

James E Keenan:
> On 1/27/14 11:15 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>> No one from the installfests posted anything yet, so I thought I'd take
>> it upon myself to post...
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Tonight we dealt with an Asus S400C.  This laptop is six months or so
>> old, and a full UEFI nightmare.  It takes a bunch of reboots and power
>> downs to deal with UEFI and BIOS settings.  That took a good hour of
>> tinkering to get things to recognize the USB with the install media, and
>> a few more reboots to get it to boot back from the disks.  If this is
>> the future of laptops, then the future is grim.
>>
>> (yes, I'm aware of the FreeBSD Foundation's grant for dealing with UEFI,
>> but don't forget it's an ugly road we're all being forced down. . .)
>>
>> After finally getting a recent OpenBSD snapshot to boot on the Asus
>> S400C, *no* physical network devices were listed in ifconfig.  The wired
>> is an Attansic AR8161, and the wireless is Atheros AR9485, and were
>> recognized out of the message log.
>>

> http://nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2518

Nice.  Thanks Jim.  That was a long spamd delay on this mail...

> Please let me know if that looks complete.
>
> ifconfig output attached.

First thing is in reference to the last line of "WARNING: / was not
properly unmounted", to shutdown OpenBSD, it's:

# shutdown -ph now

Now the dmesg and ifconfig's output should both show the network
interfaces, but neither do.  I remember from your /var/log/messages
getting the chipsets that I listed earlier in this thread.

As discussed online, you can do a couple of things while waiting for
support for the wired and wireless on that laptop:

1.  get USB adapters for wired or wireless as per Brian's comments

2.  get a replacement and supported wireless card, and check the
hardware manual on how to replace it.  It's usually just popping open
the backpanel or the keyboard.  Not a huge deal.  And it's probably
mini-PCI express, but you should check in the hardware manual.

Once you have connectivity, it should be smooth sailing for setting up
an X manager, adding packages, etc.