installfest statuses: Asus S400C

Mike N. mike at myownsoho.net
Thu Jan 30 00:27:09 EST 2014

On 2014-01-29 23:30, George Rosamond wrote:

> James E Keenan:
> On 1/27/14 11:15 PM, George Rosamond wrote: No one from the installfests posted anything yet, so I thought I'd take it upon myself to post... [snip] Tonight we dealt with an Asus S400C. This laptop is six months or so old, and a full UEFI nightmare. It takes a bunch of reboots and power downs to deal with UEFI and BIOS settings. That took a good hour of tinkering to get things to recognize the USB with the install media, and a few more reboots to get it to boot back from the disks. If this is the future of laptops, then the future is grim. (yes, I'm aware of the FreeBSD Foundation's grant for dealing with UEFI, but don't forget it's an ugly road we're all being forced down. . .) After finally getting a recent OpenBSD snapshot to boot on the Asus S400C, *no* physical network devices were listed in ifconfig. The wired is an Attansic AR8161, and the wireless is Atheros AR9485, and were recognized out of the message log. http://nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2518 [1]

Nice. Thanks Jim. That was a long spamd delay on this mail...

> Please let me know if that looks complete. ifconfig output attached.

First thing is in reference to the last line of "WARNING: / was not
properly unmounted", to shutdown OpenBSD, it's:

# shutdown -ph now

Now the dmesg and ifconfig's output should both show the network
interfaces, but neither do. I remember from your /var/log/messages
getting the chipsets that I listed earlier in this thread.

As discussed online, you can do a couple of things while waiting for
support for the wired and wireless on that laptop:

1. get USB adapters for wired or wireless as per Brian's comments

2. get a replacement and supported wireless card, and check the
hardware manual on how to replace it. It's usually just popping open
the backpanel or the keyboard. Not a huge deal. And it's probably
mini-PCI express, but you should check in the hardware manual.

Once you have connectivity, it should be smooth sailing for setting up
an X manager, adding packages, etc.

of course, downloading on another machine and copying to USB drive and
installing from there is always an option...

If your USB controller is supported, that is.

I have a few brcm / ath minipci cards i'm willing to part with if you
need / want one -- lmk if you want me to bring to the con!

mike--

Links:
------
[1] http://nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2518