tmpfs

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Fri Mar 7 15:15:45 EST 2014

On 03/07/14 08:20, John C. Vernaleo wrote:
> I'm not using tmpfs myself, but I know at least one person who has been
> using it pretty heavily on bitrig and it seems to be working out well.
> This is on amd64.  I really doubt he has tried on arm.

> John C. Vernaleo, Ph.D.
> www.netpurgatory.com
> john at netpurgatory.com
>
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, George Rosamond wrote:
>
>> Justin Sherrill:
>>> Looks like it's getting wider testing now:
>>>
>>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=262877
>>
>> Yup.. and I spawned a scrappy little battle on freebsd-arm about it.
>> Oops!  Should have just kept adding quietly to the ALIX and RPI-B
>> kernels on my own hardware.
>>
>> Should have just whined about svn instead!
>>

>>> I've had several machines using tmpfs... but those were DragonFly, and I
>>> don't know how close the tmpfs implementations are.
>>
>> Well, Wikipedia also reflects my memory on this.. FreeBSD ported from
>> NetBSD, and DFly ported NetBSDs also.

>> _________

Gman
  I used tmpfs in production FreeBSD 7.4 and 9.1 with out much issue.
My use cases were as follows.  A mysql tmp table space , a web session
storage space, a mail server queue storage space , and for /usr/obj.

In each case except /usr/obj I set a size on the mounts. My rational was
that if I gave the user no set size someone would fill the tmpfs and
potentially crash the system wile it was under load. Limiting them to
200M or 4G gave them working bounds that keep everything happy .

Mark