I declare not so stupid unix tricks thread open

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Mar 14 11:35:13 EDT 2014

Marc Spitzer:
> We need to share our not so stupid unix tricks.  Here is one:
>
> ssh key access audit script:
> for i in $(seq 254) ; do x="192.168.49.$i"; echo -n "$x: " ; ssh -o
> PasswordAuthentication=no -o NumberOfPasswordPrompts=0 $x hostname  ;
>
> this will give you one of 3 things:
> 1: hostname
> 2: failed login
> 3: unreachable error
>
> Easy way to find out where your keys work, who's next?

Bravo.

It shouldn't have taken us meeting in the data center for you to post ;P

This was the idea behind the "share you tips with the community"
meetings in the past.  Simple stupid /bin/sh sh-it is best.  Portable,
interoperable, solving one problem.

More please, sir.

I choose Spork to share some knowledge now!