mid-town connectivity

Raul Cuza raulcuza at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:37:59 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Mike N. <mike at myownsoho.net> wrote:
> On 2014-03-14 10:52, George Rosamond wrote:
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> mid-town crappy connectivity.  We have full control of building, roof, etc.
>
> TWC "business" class is supposed to be around 20m down, which only
> reflects in testing on the TWC test site.   So add the usual lies and
> latency that their network bundles (for free :) and it's 5m with any
> other test site, wget, etc.
>
> The uptime is horrific for a 24/7 business.
>
> FIOS not available.  The copper is crappy in the area.  Verizon ethernet
> has a long lead time for installs, and is expensive.
>
> Towerstream WiMax is very expensive for comparable bandwidth.
>
> What are others using in midtown, between 34th and 42nd?  Custom ATT
> fiber, etc?
>
> Why is this not a dead thread in 2014 NYC?  If someone says ISDN I'll
> realize my clock is broken.

> Go fer RCN Fiber.  I had good experience working with them shortly after
> they took over Sidera 5-6 yrs ago.  It's "custom" fiber, but pretty good
> rates.  I remember looking at 50 over 15 at around $1500/mo.  I can't
> imagine prices going up since then.
>
> Maybe other wireless providers are available to you?  Rainbow pricing maybe
> better?
>
> Good luck!

My $work has RCN with great uptime (if you ignore having to yell at
them to give us more than 4 hours notice on maintenance windows when
we started with them). 250Mb symmetric for $2700/mon. Only caveat is
we are by the water, so not technically midtown.

Anyone use Panix in midtown? They don't service everywhere, but I know
another place that got a great fiber deal from them; consider it a
rumor though cause I can't remember the numbers.

Post your solution please.

Raúl