[talk] JVM Questions

pvarga at pvrg.net pvarga at pvrg.net
Wed Mar 19 20:48:45 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 08:23:57PM +0000, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A Java question, for my own sanity.
>
> Some folks I know are convinced that Oracle JDK and OpenJDK are identical.
> (OpenJDK is our Production standard for many reasons, yet follks keep
> using to Oracle JDK for dev...)

About 5 years ago, when glassfish was around along other java vms, jdks,
the difference was runtime performance and memory usage.  I would expect
that be still an differentiating factor.  I think glassfish went on to
become Oracle's, so this may be irrelevant.

> QUESTIONS:
>
> Do folks here know anywhere I can find some practical code examples
> which expose the nasty bugs which can be encountered?
>
> Do folks here have any such examples, perhaps from your fine Java
> colleagues? (unsigned/signed int mania differences in particular)?
>
> In the vast and disparate world of Java, is there another good place
> where I should ask to find examples of this stuff?
>
> I'm dying to get my hands on some code to demonstrate the JVM
> implementation differences, so we can quit focusing on high level
> language spec discussions.
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

when i used to write java code, the prod platform was the goal to run on
and as a good test i routinely ran with different java implementations.

i did not really have a lot of interesting problems that could not be
solved with the simple principle of writing code to lang-specs.