[talk] Arm Board

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Fri Mar 28 21:58:01 EDT 2014

> On Mar 28, 2014, at 5:19 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
> George Neville-Neil:
>>
>>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 14:34 , Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Fellow ARM users
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried this board / CPU combo out
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813190005
>>>
>>> Its has a 4 core NVIDIA Tegra K1 , 2G RAM, SATA ports , Mini PCI-Express and the list goes on .
>> Have not tried it, it’s on the high end of those types of boards at $200.
>
> I think this board came up on the FBSD arm list the other day.
>
> The boards will keep proliferating, and from what it seems from my view,
> the divergence in porting will grow with it.  Meaning that there has to
> be some prioritization in what devs focus on.  These firms are using
> onsite devs to build Linux ports.. .and none of the BSD projects can
> keep pace with that.
>
> The fact that NVIDIA is joining the crowd is significant, but I think
> we're looking at a lot more boards from the big boys as they catch-up.

So weirdly nvidia is not targeting a known distro but a nvidia developed thing . Whilst Linux is Linux per say that aspect of the board lends me to think its to exotic , to waste time with .

> If there is a question of sorting out the 'short list' of ports to be
> focused on, I'd assume there are other multi-core boards people are
> focused on... besides the lower-end RPi, BeagleBone, Wandaboards and
> Cubieboards.

The sexy aspect of this board was the ram, expansion, and dedicated db9 . I don't care about the video aspects just yet they seam hard to use . Ie nvidia specific decoders for some apps and Libs .

That being said it feels like today's arm setups are a headless mess of random bits . Vendor x has on way of laying out the board and vendor y has a completely different way to do their setup of the same parts . While I get that each wants to protect their IP ; Most of the variation boils down to "how can I do this cheaper and faster " with little care for how it will work in a year .

Am I wrong ?