[talk] JVM Questions

Sujit K M sjt.kar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 07:33:33 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM, George Magiros <gmagiros at gmail.com> wrote:
> The specification doesn't specify a garbage collection algorithm fyi,  "

I don't understand why you top posted to this particular mail.

> Implementation details that are not part of the Java Virtual Machine's
> specification would unnecessarily constrain the creativity of implementors.
> .For example, the memory layout of run-time data areas, the
> garbage-collection algorithm used, and any internal optimization of the Java
> Virtual Machine instructions (for example, translating them into machine
> code) are left to the discretion of the implementor."
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jvms/se7/html/jvms-2.html

This as per me is commonsense, I don't understand why you are bringing this
as an issue. This a common characteristic of any Language to leave the
implementation to the implementer, example C++.

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Sujit K M <sjt.kar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy
>> <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > A Java question, for my own sanity.
>> >
>> > Some folks I know are convinced that Oracle JDK and OpenJDK are
>> > identical.
>> > (OpenJDK is our Production standard for many reasons, yet follks keep
>> > using
>> > to Oracle JDK for dev...)
>>
>> Might be the compilers they use might sun studio for Oracle JDK and GCC
>> for
>> OpenJDK.
>>
>> > QUESTIONS:
>> >
>> > Do folks here know anywhere I can find some practical code examples
>> > which
>> > expose the nasty bugs which can be encountered?
>>
>> The ODBC/JDBC Drivers are particular to these. One bug I find and keep
>> finding
>> is the one below
>>           resultSet.getInt(getParameter()); // will most probably lead
>> to a very bad bug
>>            resultSet.get(i);// is not going to get this.
>>
>> > Do folks here have any such examples, perhaps from your fine Java
>> > colleagues? (unsigned/signed int mania differences in particular)?
>> >
>> > In the vast and disparate world of Java, is there another good place
>> > where I
>> > should ask to find examples of this stuff?
>>
>> One of the major bugs I found in the Collections Framework was the HashMap
>> and ConcurrenAccessException in JDK5 long time ago. I Think Best way
>> to Look at this is in Exceptions that a method or class instance might
>> throw
>> and try writing a unit test case for that.
>>

>> > I'm dying to get my hands on some code to demonstrate the JVM
>> > implementation
>> > differences, so we can quit focusing on high level language spec
>> > discussions.
>>
>> Best way would be to compile OpenJDK using Sun Studio and seeing
>> how it goes from there.

-- Sujit K M

blog(http://kmsujit.blogspot.com/)