[talk] fcitx and Japanese input

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun May 4 18:24:51 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 07:10:16PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I'm just idly curious if anyone on the list who makes use of Japanese input
> has tried fcitx.  I gave it a half hearted try and couldn't get it to work,
> so I went back to ibus-mozc.
>
> I also tried on a few Linux distributions, with the same results.  It
> seems to be running, but input doesn't change.

Well, it seems that, at least for me, Japanese input in FreeBSD is no
longer trivial.  While I haven't had time to thoroughly experiment, what
was simple on FreeBSD-9x is not working on 10.  I installled my usual
ibus-mozc (and also tried with Anthy) and the system, in a few different
window managers, (dwm, openbox, and fluxbox) is ignoring the ctl+space that
I use to switch between Japanese and English.  If I start ibus, ALL input
is in Japanese.

I imagine I'll figure this out sooner or later, and when I do, I'll post
again.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6