[talk] Followup on Japanese input

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri May 9 21:26:45 EDT 2014

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I did have quite a bit of trouble
getting Japanese input working in FreeBSD-10.

Without going too deeply into my trials and tribulations, it seems that at least
in my two preferred desktops, openbox and dwm, ibus is ignoring the hot keys.
I tried various combinations, thinking that perhaps both window managers had
some keyboard shortcut overriding the hot keys, with no luck.

In FreeBSD-9.x, Japanese input had been fairly standard for me.  Install
ibus-mozc, add variables for LC_CTYPE, GTK_IM_MODULE, QT_IM_MODULE and
XMODIFIERS, and all worked as expected.

Finally, byuu on FreeBSD forums gave me a solution. He has a small shell
script that does what the hot keys should be doing, and creating a keyboard
shortcut to said script works.   (Actually, a shortcut to dmenu also
works--once in dmenu, even if your desktop is stuck in Japanese input you
can open dmenu, which will input in English, type the script name, and all
your other apps switch back to English input.

The script is simply
----
#!/bin/sh
if [ `ibus engine` = 'mozc-jp' ]; then
  ibus engine xkb:us::eng
else
ibus engine mozc-jp  #or whatever IME you prefer; change it above too.
fi
-----

Hopefully, the above will be of use to someone.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6