[talk] /. on "don't be a server hugger"

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri May 16 10:18:08 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 2:27 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think the 'cloud' most people use (AWS) is the most ironic technology
> ever. It using xen and virtualisation, but you still pay for servers as if
> they are a physical thing on a rack. M1.xl is X cents on hour even if it is
> idling. With AWS you give up 'server hugging' for 'XEN server hugging' .

An idling server is still burning dinosaurs, holding an IP address, and
using storage.

Anyway, for small organizations, cloud is a godsend. If you _don't_ have a
competent, professional sysadmin on staff or retainer, and a budget for a
proper datacenter, then it's less risky to hand over your systems to
someone who does. Think about all the un-patched, misconfigured Small
Business Servers that disappear from the internet every day thanks to
outlook.com.

Commodity computing is like commodity anything else. It's not as good as
bespoke, but it's easier and safer than DIY.