[talk] /. on "don't be a server hugger"

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:09:13 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Brian Coca <briancoca+nycbug at gmail.com>wrote:

> Those numbers seem to assume you buy all the software and network
> appliances. My numbers were skewed in the other direction because i was
> using OSS for everything (routers/firewalls, virtualization,etc). IT labor
> costs in my case were higher but more than compensated for by the software
> choice.

There is a certain risk in ownership. If the infrastructure demands are
known and can be projected for at least 1 year going forward, then
ownership makes a great deal of sense in most cases.

Certainly the cost of administration is no less when going with the cloud.
Admin costs are not for rack & stack, they are for configuration and
upkeep, which must be done in either case.

I'm preaching to the choir, but I'd like to say that there are cases where
ownership of hardware makes sense, and there are cases where it does not
make sense... either from a depreciation perspective or from having to
maintain multiple contracts with remote admins for global pops, etc. How
much is it going to cost you to replace a stick of RAM in Singapore? I
think I just contradicted my earlier statement, but it does go to show that
it all depends on what you're doing. There is no clearcut better answer in
all cases.

--
-jesse