[talk] [nycbug-talk] FreeBSD abandoning hardware randomness

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Sun Nov 2 23:12:00 EST 2014

On 11/02/14 21:13, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 20:34:34 -0500
>
>> TrueRNG – Hardware Random Number Generator USB
>> http://ubld.it/products/truerng-hardware-random-number-generator/
>>
>> I'm excited to see this, what do people think?  $47 feels a bit high
>> though...
>>
>> Rocket-
>> .ike
> And, as I continued looking for info online, came across another:
>
> "OneRNG" - totally open spec,
> http://moonbaseotago.com/onerng/

Hmm... a couple things come to mind:
First, TrueRNG seems to be a black box. So that's pretty much a non-starter.

Looks like OneRNG is only for Linux (atm); it requires udev to talk to
the kernel... someone would need to write the necessary software.

But I'm not sure the problem these devices are trying to solve are
problems for the BSDs, at least OpenBSD.

~Brian