[talk] Ask Slashdot: Workaday Software For BSD On the Desktop?

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Nov 20 19:15:58 EST 2014

Mark Saad:
> Check it out,
>
> http://tech-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/11/20/185246/ask-slashdot-workaday-software-for-bsd-on-the-desktop

Yeah, and Matt S posted that other story recently on a related note.

It's an interesting thing in one way.  It's a route for people to get
their feet wet, and have "BSD experience" and hopefully move into deeper
usage.  And maybe increase the pool of BSD people for infrastructure and
dev jobs out there.

I think the BSDs are mostly fine on laptops (although I've never had
FBSD resume from sleep on a Thinkpad...), and I am personally not
comfortable on another "desktop OS."  And it certainly makes dealing
with BSD servers easier, since the man pages, etc., reflect what's on a
server.

But I am also concerned about the expectations of a lot of the younger
Linux crew who don't know there is a shell on their box, then have to
deal with it in some way, or even ncurses.  It's not 1999 anymore, and
it seems a lot of distros focused on being shiny eye-candy and made the
transition to Linux from OSX or Windows feel smooth.