[talk] Manhattan office connectivity

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Oct 9 11:56:45 EDT 2014

Henry Mendez wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM, George Rosamond <
> george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> I raised this a while back, but I'm wondering about alternatives to the
>> latency ridden world of business cable providers for SMBs.
>>
>> Someone had mentioned Cogent.  Over $1k for a 10mb connection.
>>
>> Anybody try Megapath (who soaked up the remnants of Speakeasy)?
>>

> We have Megapath DSL as a Backup link for the office. They are 'OK'. Just
> make sure you are close to one of their Central Offices or else you won't
> be able to get decent speeds from them. Verify the distance before you
> order because they won't unless you ask. Their tech reps also aren't very
> helpful (Are any though?).

Useful input here.

To the first response, they can't get Vze Fios.  You know, it's in the
one of those remote places called midtown manhattan.   Apparently it was
just settled by the Anglos.

The rep wouldn't even discuss DSL, saying essentially it was junk.

But I assume ethernet also terminates in the CO, but what do you mean by
"close" since relatively speaking, everything is pretty 'close' in
Manhattan.  Could you be more specific?