[talk] USB Wireless Recommendations

Jim B. jpb at jimby.name
Sun Apr 12 14:42:23 EDT 2015

* Jim B. <jpb at jimby.name> [2015-04-12 13:59]:
> * Jim B. <jpb at jimby.name> [2015-03-21 22:20]:
> >
> > Hello gang,
> >
> > I'm looking for recommendations for reliable USB wireless
> > adapters that work with FreeBSD.  I've bought several
> > that don't work (apparently no driver support) and before
> > I shell out more cash I figured someone on this list
> > will know.
> >

> > Any advice much appreciated!
> >
> > Jim B.
> >

> So, I ended up searching for the specific chipset (RT5370) that
> is known to work with FreeBSD.  Amazon URL for this item was
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABD4AXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
> Dru and I both placed orders at the same time for the same item.
>
> Hers arrived first, and didn't work.
>
> Mine arrived and did work.  The packaging was very, very similar, but
> when I closely examined the back of the package for both they were different.
>
> One specifically says "Chipset  Ralink", the other does not.
>
> See the attached image.  Since mine did work and I need more of them,
> I place another order for a larger quantity and sent a note to the
> seller (JM Electronics) stating that I needed the "Chipset Ralink"
> version. I also included the same image.
>
> We will see what happens.  Hope they follow my request.
>

> Cheers,
> Jim B.

In case anyone is interested, here are the usbconfig dumps for both:

This one does not work:

  [jpb at pcbsd-6404 ~]$ usbconfig -u 0 -a 2  dump_device_desc
  ugen0.2: <product 0x7601 vendor 0x148f> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (160mA)

    bLength = 0x0012
    bDescriptorType = 0x0001
    bcdUSB = 0x0201
    bDeviceClass = 0x0000
    bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
    bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
    bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
    idVendor = 0x148f
    idProduct = 0x7601
    bcdDevice = 0x0000
    iManufacturer = 0x0001  <retrieving string failed>
    iProduct = 0x0002  <retrieving string failed>
    iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <retrieving string failed>
    bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

This one does work:

  [jpb at pcbsd-6404 ~]$ usbconfig -u 0 -a 2  dump_device_desc
  ugen0.2: <802.11 n WLAN Ralink> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (450mA)

    bLength = 0x0012
    bDescriptorType = 0x0001
    bcdUSB = 0x0200
    bDeviceClass = 0x0000