[talk] VPNs: Choosing between OpenVPN and L2TP/IPsec

Nikolai Fetissov nikolai at fetissov.org
Mon Apr 20 13:49:23 EDT 2015

Ike,

Definitely go with OpenVPN for roaming users. It's just way easier then anything else. Clients for all relevant platforms are free (use tunnelblick on Mac: https://code.google.com/p/tunnelblick/), there's even a free iPhone app.
You would need to manage the certs and crls, but that comes required with any of your contenders.
OpenVPN at least gives you a nice set of tools to do this with easyrsa.
Use default UDP transport. It's way faster then doing the same over TCP.

I have the server side running on open with chroot and privsep, and custom krb5 auth, which I'm too lazy to clean up and submit as a package.

Cheers,
--
 Nikolai