[talk] classifying BSD init

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Aug 31 13:23:42 EDT 2015

On 08/30/15 09:31, Brian Coca wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As part of my work on Ansible I wanted to revamp init system detection
> and break the current monolithic service plugin into smaller more
> targeted ones (systemd, upstart, sysv, etc). Since the BSD support is
> important to me (and hopefully others) I wanted to ask the community
> how I should break this down.
>
> What makes more sense? A unified bsdinit plugin that accounts for the
> differences on each system or independent plugins? Are There are
> enough differences in options that the user interface might become too
> complicated?

IMHO - and this may be unpopular - trying to create one unified plugin
for multiple OS variants is not a good Unix design pattern.  It
certainly moves away from the writting one utility that is flexible
approach towards the gnu/linux kitchen sink approach.

having said that - i could see some benefit from having a main bsdinit
class that inherits freebsd,openbsd,netbsd,etc. classes.  this would
allow one to put common methods and interfaces in the bsdinit class,
then OS specific methods in bsdinit.freebsd for example.

just my two bits,
-pete

--
Pete Wright