[talk] FreeBSD 10.2-stable "random device not loaded"

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Dec 16 23:41:52 EST 2015

Pete Wright:

> On 12/16/15 16:10, Pete Wright wrote:

>>> Humm, any luck on more info?  I haven't seen that on HEAD, and GENERIC
>>> on stable/10 includes device random so that seems odd.
>>>

>> i am *not* seeing this on one of my KVM instances here running HEAD r292065:
>>
>> pwright at bsd-current:/usr/src % dmesg|grep -i random
>> random: unblocking device.
>> random: entropy device external interface
>> random: registering fast source Intel Secure Key RNG
>> random: fast provider: "Intel Secure Key RNG"
>>

>> this is a sandy bridge (E3xxx) Intel CPU on the hypervisor fwiw.
>
> strike that - freebsd detects this as a E312xx but the hypervisor is a
> E5-2697 v2 which is also a sandy bridge, but a different rev than the E3xxxx

Thanks Pete and John.

Again, here's the relevant part of the dmesg:

random device not loaded; using insecure entropy
ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
random: <Software, Yarrow> initialized

Someone hit me offlist on this, and apparently it's Supermicro
motherboard-related.  Yes, vague, but I need to do more searching after
that.