[talk] Ike's OpenBSD laptop meeting

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Sun Feb 1 18:56:56 EST 2015

Maybe...,

> On Feb 1, 2015, at 10:06 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 05:04:23PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 04:34:03PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>>> On Jan 31,  4:30pm, george at ceetonetechnology.com (George Rosamond) wrote:
>>> -- Subject: [talk] Ike's OpenBSD laptop meeting

>> For what it's worth, while not sure if this would run with OpenBSD, NewEgg
>> is selling some refurbished Lenovo L420's, with 4GB of RAM and i5
>> processors, for around $260 through Think Green PC.
>
> Well, I tested this this morning with OpenBSD,and unfortunately, upon
> booting from an install USB it stopped with an error a few lines after
> booting.

This *might* be the USB ports themselves, as the kernel takes over, OpenBSD doesn't currently support usb 3.0- which is all over on Lenovo kit.  Typically, the inner fin on a usb3 port is blue.

On my x220, two workarounds:
- install from usb2 port if you have it, x220 rh side usb is 2.0 only.
- disable usb3 in bios, x220 I did this for all ports anyhow to make them all working USB 2.0.

This trade off, and others, covered in the talk.

Best,
.ike