[talk] Optimum provided home router madness

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Feb 1 22:31:17 EST 2015

On Feb 1, 2015, at 8:12 PM, Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Two SSIDs - one for the homeowner, one for the guest (“optimumwifi” should be the SSID for the guest access).   They should be separate networks - meaning your guests should not be able to reach your internal hosts behind the router (wired or wireless).  Also the homeowner’s network is secured  with WPA2, whereas the guest network has no wifi security enabled.  The two network layout also means that if a guest comes over and starts doing “bad things”, the onus is not on the network’s owner (in theory at least, no idea what the supboena process would look like).

If I remember the details correctly, the router also remembers hosts that connected to the private wifi and then blocks them from connecting to the open guest network based on MAC address.

Charles