[talk] m0n0wall project ending

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Feb 17 12:34:24 EST 2015

On 02/15/15 11:26, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2015, at 2:19 PM, Brian Callahan <bcallah at devio.us> wrote:

>>> The most interesting thing I found there was this:
>>>
>>> https://opnsense.org
>>>
>>> Never heard of it until today. It is a pfsense fork…
>>>
>>> I’ve had good luck with Dutch software so far (hi, PowerDNS, OpenVPN-NL), this should be interesting to watch.
>>>

>> BSD Now has had some coverage of OPNsense recently. I think they
>> interviewed one of the project members. Worth checking out if you have
>> some time.
>
> I also should have included this:
>
> https://wiki.opnsense.org/index.php/OPNsense:So_why_did_we_fork%3F
>
> Seems like a bunch of valid points.  Ethically, I’d say if the company sponsoring this fork did contribute time and money to the pfsense project as they claim, then this is quite fair.

i can agree with a lot of their points here.  we've already touched on
the security implications of using php, and running it as root, so i
won't go there.  one thing that has gotten me concerned lately with
pfsense is when the "gold support" menu item was added.  that's a super
slippery slope i reckon, and considering how poor the docs are for
pfsense makes we seriously consider its long term viability.

i think we can all agree on the importance of quality, correct,
documentation for security.  hopefully my assumption that they are going
to put that stuff behind a paywall is incorrect, but it did make me
*not* use pfsense for several routers i have deployed.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org