[talk] Open source laptop

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Wed Jan 21 09:01:15 EST 2015

> On Jan 21, 2015, at 5:04 AM, Sujit K M <sjt.kar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
>> I saw this today on  slashdot and somewhere else, either way . It has
>> some interesting bits but I was 1/2 expecting it to be a ARM and not an
>> intel x86 isa.  What are you thoughts on why no one has built a arm
>> laptop in this market with more then 2G of ram and a decent amount of
>> internal storage
>
> Something like this. When I used ARM7V and ARM9V there was a crazy
> concept like bogo mips which is the number of cycles the processor cannot
> guarentee process anything. What I found was It causes performance hits
> when you add Memory/Storage etc. But I am not sure about this. Even
> I had raised a thread where I wanted to know about ARM Tablets @talk,
> eventually If that can be broadened to an ARM Processor with laptop capability.
> Even I am interested in owning a ARM Laptop. But cost might be the other
> thing too.

There has to be something to putting more then 2g of ram on a 32bit arm . This is purely anecdotal but if you check aliababa for arm gear it's all 2g of ram or less . Now this could be the market is targeting android and derived designs so there isn't any demand for it . However iirc the Samsung chrome laptop (the arm variety) is also 2g of ram .  Maybe there is some issue we aren't aware of . In any case I would like to try an non-android arm laptop, that Is a laptop not a weird tablet thingy or a glorified media player .

Mark saad | mark.saad at ymail.com