[talk] Old style packages (with compat) on FreeBSD 10?

Siobhan Lynch slynch2112 at me.com
Thu Mar 5 16:10:20 EST 2015

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 3:42 PM, Brett Wynkoop <wynkoop+nbt at wynn.com> wrote:
>
> Greeting-
>
> I know FreeBSD is great at running old binaries on newer versions of
> the OS, but why not just grab the sources and build it from source?

Because they don’t distribute source :/

> Depending on how old your old package is you can extract the contents
> using a combination of gzcat and tar or bzcat and tar.

That’s what I ended up doing, lol - I have it working now (just have to configure it) - I put it on it’s own zfs (zfs! I love that zfs now works!!! I was a big proponent of using ifs on solaris boxes)

It’s weird, a lot of old habits I am having to break, because 10.x is different enough to break my old habits, and I am having to remember a lot of stuff I haven’t done in almost 2 years now! I love where FreeBSD has gone, to be honest.

It took me a bit to realize I could untar it and just put it in it’s own directory, since splunk has its self-contained directory structure.

-Trish