[talk] NetBSD on Hardkernel ODROID-C1

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Mar 19 11:39:13 EDT 2015

MIke Nichols:

>> Steven Kreuzer:
>>> NetBSD now runs on a $35 dollar quad core ARMv7 board that has 1G of RAM and gigabit ethernet
>>>
>>> http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/netbsd_ported_to_hardkernel_odroid <http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/netbsd_ported_to_hardkernel_odroid>
>>
>> I know there's been a lot of FreeBSD work on the ODroid also.
>>
> Good to know, I'm excited :D

Such a moving target with the arm hardware though.  I am going to need a
warehouse at some point as I accumulate.

>> Daisuke Aoyama has Nas4Free running on it now, and it sounds relatively
>> stable.
>>
>> I've been frustrated recently with ARM stuff due to regularly flaky
>> microSD cards left and right.  I can't do anything remotely
>> disk-intensive on them without getting bad CRC errors, 'undiagnosable'
>> svn errors, etc.
>>
>> It seems only stuff using SD cards is consistent.

> That's why the Odroid's use EMMC modules, which come with adapters so you write to them as microSD's, but they boot on the first run like embedded flash.

So does the BBone Black and others.  I assume it will become (if not
already), pretty standard.. There's some issues with
"/root/copy-to-emmc.sh" script for the BBB which facilitates booting off
that as opposed to the mSD card, but it's a recent thread on freebsd-arm at .