[talk] USB Wireless Recommendations

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Mar 22 05:57:53 EDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:17:02PM -0700, John Weintraub wrote:
> I'm curious, is this a frequent problem for BSD users? It used to be a
> problem for Linux users, but that has changed for the better in the last 5
> or so years. What about BSD? I am a newbie on BSD, so please refrain from
> flaming me for my ignorance. Thanks.

It seems (nothing but anecdotal evidence based on a couple of laptops) that
the BSDs tend to be behind Linux in some hardware (and some, usually
proprietary, software) support. For example, I have an Asus UX31E, and its
wireless didn't work with FreeBSD till 10.x, whereas with Linux, at the
time I bought it (when it was relatively new), wireless worked out of the
box.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6