[talk] USB Wireless Recommendations

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Mar 22 10:31:13 EDT 2015

Malcolm Matalka:
> I've had success with
>
> http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/wifi-dongles/wifi-dongle-nano-usb/?search=wifi
>
> It uses run driver.

There's a bunch out there that run fine on OpenBSD using run(4) and
urtwn(4).  run(4) is preferred since it doesn't require firmware, while
urtwn(4) does.

Microcenter sells a bunch for under $10.

There the Ralink one that uses the RT5390 chipset that uses run(4), but
I can't remember what it sells as, but I think it's the Tenda W311M1.

The urtwn(4) uses Realtek RTL8188CU and seems to sell as Trendnet.

I have one 802.11n usb dongle that isn't supported, but it seems to hide
on me every time I need to look at it.

> I'm curious, is this a frequent problem for BSD users? It used to be a
> problem for Linux users, but that has changed for the better in the last 5
> or so years. What about BSD? I am a newbie on BSD, so please refrain from
> flaming me for my ignorance. Thanks.

And JJW, we work to keep this list flameless.  We don't have tolerance
for that.  Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

As Scott said, it seems that closed/binary-requiring devices puts Linux
ahead.  But I'm not 100%, but I do think FreeBSD had usb support before
Linux.