[talk] USB Wireless Recommendations

Malcolm Matalka mmatalka at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 10:43:21 EDT 2015

George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> writes:

> Malcolm Matalka:
>> I've had success with
>>
>> http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/wifi-dongles/wifi-dongle-nano-usb/?search=wifi
>>
>> It uses run driver.
>
> There's a bunch out there that run fine on OpenBSD using run(4) and
> urtwn(4).  run(4) is preferred since it doesn't require firmware, while
> urtwn(4) does.

The only issue I've had with the dongle I mentioned running run(4) is
that the cannot achieve outbound speeds above 80 KB/s, while I can get
around 1000 KB/s inbound while running in hostap (I have not tested it
otherwise).  Not exactly sure why yet, but it makes using it as an
access point mostly useless.  Hoping to get a chance to investigate it
more in the near future.