[talk] Macbook Pro Screen Replacement

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Mar 22 13:11:34 EDT 2015

On Mar 21, 2015, at 9:06 PM, Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:

> All
> My trusty old 2011 MBP's screen was smashed this week. I want to swap
> in a new LCD, however I wanted to know if anyone had done this before
> and how it was. Also does anyone know if I can swap a 1440x900 screen
> for a 1680x1050 screen ? They are the same size 15" and the 1680x1050
> was an upgrade for this model ? I cant find anything that says yes or no .

I can’t speak about the process on that model (although that is what I’m typing on), but I found that my old 2006 MBP was very easy (and cheap) to replace.  It was also a 1440x900.  I paid a bit under $99 for a compatible LG panel.  The swap took less than an hour and I added a space invader behind the apple logo since I’d gone to the trouble of cracking the thing open.

I’m not seeing anyone stating they’ve done the swap, this thread speculates that the cable may be different:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/73405/Changing+screen+from+standard+1440x900+to+high+res+matte+1680x1050

The price premium is a bit much, but then again, $70 to not be glossy is worth it, IMHO. :)

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Late-2008-through-Late-2011-LCD-Panel-/IF161-069-2

I do wonder if iFixit would tell you if the hi-res would work as part of a pre-sales chat...

Charles