[talk] Testing shell

Thomas Levine _ at thomaslevine.com
Sat Nov 28 22:22:03 EST 2015

The topic of debugging shell programs came up during the last talk, and
Eric mentioned the test harness urchin.
https://github.com/tlevine/urchin

Here are some test suites written in urchin.
https://github.com/tlevine/urchin/tree/master/tests
https://github.com/creationix/nvm/blob/master/.travis.yml
https://github.com/creationix/nvm/tree/master/test

Urchin itself works under several shells.
https://github.com/tlevine/urchin/blob/master/cross-shell-tests

Someone gave rave reviews of a shell linter. I think it was ShellCheck.
Either way, I have heard other rave reviews of ShellCheck.
http://www.shellcheck.net/

In case nobody mentioned it, here are three neat debugging tools that
Ike showed me.
http://blackskyresearch.net/try.sh.txt

George lamented the difficulty of attracting young kids to simple,
stable, robust, non-hip software. My review of shell testing methods may
help in this aspect.
https://thomaslevine.com/!/shell-testing/

Tom