[talk] Teaching BSD to students

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Fri Oct 2 20:44:50 EDT 2015

A keeping everyone up to date email!
I did a guest lecture/lab course last Friday in RPI's Open Source (freshman/sophomore) course. The goal of the lab was to submit a doc fix to FreeBSD or OpenBSD: https://github.com/rcos/CSCI2961-01/blob/master/Labs/Lab4.Md

It resulted in 2 diffs to OpenBSD and over 20 to FreeBSD.

The FreeBSD Foundation wants to use it as a base to develop their own stand-alone class on the topic, and I've been asked to write up a paragraph or two for their next newsletter.

Anyhow, it was fun and neat and different. And the kids seemed to like it. This seems to be a positive, effective way to plant the seed of BSD into the next generation.

~Brian