[talk] In Contrast to BSD init, A history of modern init systems (1992-2015)

Raul Cuza raulcuza at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:56:30 EDT 2015

In light of the recent discussion on *BSD and init system, I thought
this history of modern init systems a interesting contrast:
http://blog.darknedgy.net/technology/2015/09/05/0/

By definition of "modern", the BSD style init is the "classical" that
these systems are not. Maybe I don't understand the problems these
alternatives are trying to solve sufficiently. If you can shed some
light on it, I'd love to hear it.

What I like most about the history is that most of those attempts at
improvements have not impacted the systems I manage (conveniently
ignoring the OS X fleets I've been in charge of at various times). For
me, the classical solution gets the job done.

Raúl