[talk] In Contrast to BSD init, A history of modern init systems (1992-2015)

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:02:35 EDT 2015

" developer has written a daemonized processes.  it's buggy and crashes
periodically, but we don't have resources at the moment to fix the bug
causing the daemon to crash because corporations are bad and should feel
bad.  we used daemontools to monitor that the deamon was running, and
had it automatically restart if it crashed."

' We all have done this, but this is a very dangerous path. I worked at a
place where I was a sysadmin. I was BLAMED because my 'restart processes'
failed to properly restart 'buggy developer process x'. I always consider
this the first step on the highway to hell (aka Janitor ops). Once the
enterprise adopts the notion that 'smart developer types' are 'too busy' to
make processes that do not crash or do not fill disk with logs, all the
crap work falls on ops. Soon people sending you tar files because they 'too
busy to make installer'.

Flashbacks sorry.

In the end having something restart downed processes is smart but if
anything starts crashing repeatedly something need to be done. IE 1 random
crash a week means someone go fix it!