[talk] Python

Steve steve.b at osfda.org
Sun Apr 17 11:46:02 EDT 2016

Here's a great indicator; do a search on: C++ obfuscate
(we're all probably familiar with the C obfuscation challenge contests...)

Then do: javascript obfuscate

Repeat for: java obfuscate

Then try it with other languages of interest to you.

Finally look at: python obfuscate

And you'll see at the opening of the attempts described, the authors
concede that it's hard to do.
I have spent decades dealing with compiled languages; python offers one
the shortest time to implement an idea without getting mired in the
resource specifics of a language like C(++). There's been a number of
times I have set about doing a compiled program, and I get so distracted
with some sideline prerequisite, for a moment I even forget what the
original task I was dealing with was!

Now of course, python has overhead (in the age of 1TB disks and 8GB RAM
machines, this is less of a consideration...);
it's lousy if you're going to do an iteration-intensive task.

But if you know from the outset that you won't go to that place, it's
among the best in terms of readability.

Perl is incredibly powerful, but requires a very conscious effort to
keep it readable.

python's thought out interface to libraries compiled in other languages
also explains its following;
when you tackle a task, like java, there's just a ton of libraries that
you can leverage off of...