[talk] Python

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 12:43:25 EDT 2016

It is not the fault of the language the lacking of documentation, it is a
lacking of the developers that use it. Java has (and has had since the
beginning) an inbuilt system called java-doc which generates markup in
comments into documentation.

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang/javadocs/api-2.6/org/apache/commons/lang/StringUtils.html

I have some interesting prospective on documentation:

1) Documentation in code is almost impossible to keep accurate. In many
cases most things you two to document internally like "clear box"
documentation, hurts readability and is so difficult to keep in sync with
actual code.

2) Who is the documentation for. Inside a method to authenticate with
oauth, what do you document the entire oauth protocol? What the application
is supposed to do?

3) People don't read anyway. I have written 2 books on Cassandra and Hive.
At my work we use both. In addition to the books I have ALSO field out our
internal wiki with site specific information.

How many RTFM questions do you think I continuously field? Shockingly no
1/15 people in our group and in ops have actually purchased one of my
books, 2 other people I have actually handed the books and they never read
them.

A few weeks back someone actually said to me, "I was trying to figure out
XYZ and I looked in your book and it was right there!"

What a REVELATION!

Do you really read docs? If people did, STACKOVERFLOW would not be a run
away success! No one reads anything they just want the star trek computer /
google to answer any question they dont know instantly, and they dont want
to have to care about how anything works.